Artists’ Discussion Board
This Artists Toronto Discussion Board is a service to the Toronto art community. We encourage artists and and those interested in the visual arts to comment on any post. Opinions expressed are not necessarily the views of the Artist Toronto administration. Objectionable comments will be promptly removed.

Do you have a
QUESTION or COMMENT?
Link to the Artists Toronto site




SHOW ALL DISCUSSIONS

SHOW DISCUSSIONS AS LIST


Please feel free to make a comment



11/12/10

Art For Fund Raising

I'm interested in knowing if any art group or organization has a general policy about donations of art works for charitable fund-raising. I, and other artists that I know, are constantly being asked to donate works for charity events. Currently, I have three such requests pending. Some offer a percentage of the sale price, which is often a ridiculously low silent auction bid. Other offer a charitable receipt for the sale price. Basically, it ends up that the artist (often unconnected with the charity) is the only real contributor. It would be helpful if there was some "official" policy that might form the basis for our response.


Posted by Wynn Walters OSA

3 comments:

admin said...

Some specific art organizations may have a policy but we are not aware of any.

Susan Gosevitz said...

Robert Genn's Twice-Weekly Newsletter recently
dealt with this subject.Recommended an opening
bid 2/3 of gallery price (reserve bid) then the
work returned to the artist if not achieved. I
was recently asked to donate a painting to a charity silent auction who wanted to have a low
opening bid. Similar work of mine had sold at
$1,500 and I didn't want to devalue my work by having it sold low. I didn't donate work because of it. Artists as a group are often taken advantage of and are expected to give away their work - usually with no percentage of the sale.Each request needs to be considered on an individual basis as the exposure may be worth it to the artist
and/or the charity is a special case.

Laura Warburton said...

How artists get paid !? !

I recall reading an article in CARFAC calender, Vol 13 , No 1 summer 2010
Deirdre Logue, artist, writes and quotes Hollis Frampton the late film maker and then Curator of Film at MOMA, from back in 1973.
The article title is No to Spectacle.
I encourage you to read , not certain if on their website but try.
In principle I agree, in reality I don't always comply... so I am not certain if I enable a problem or solve a problem.

Cheers

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.